Advice for a beginning AI PhD student? Hi Reddit! I’m a beginner MS/PhD student at the Media Lab at MIT, working in AI. I’ve been involved in academic CV/AI research for a while, and have a few papers at decent venues as well. However, for my PhD I want to look at unconventional yet impactful directions of research, which, potentially would be valuable a few years from now.A few things that fascinate me personally are - attempting to solve global problems especially issues concerning third world countries by creating and deploying large scale AI; and using AI to identify and solve “superhuman” tasks - something which humans normally are not capable of doing. I understand the latter might move beyond the traditional definition of “intelligence”, but with more data and better algorithms available, I feel that we might be seeing AI take such a form (for example, in fine-grained classification).I want to know what the Reddit community thinks about these directions (or AI research in general), and if there are suggestions for things I should look out for or be careful for during my graduate studies. Thanks a lot for your time!


http://ift.tt/2frDZeT

Comments

Popular Posts